Being in school matters!
When it comes to learning, every single school day counts. Research shows that attendance plays an important role in academic success, which affects success in life. Simply put, students must attend school in order to benefit from it.
Just two missed days of school every month, for any reason, can cause a child to suffer academically and decrease the chances that he or she will graduate. Absences add up—and subtract from learning.
If you need to report an absence or tardy
You can call the attendance office at 360-313-3220, request an absence through Skyward Family Access, send an email to the attendance clerk at email@example.com or send a written note to the attendance office.
Excused absences and tardies are time spent out of school for:
- Illness, health conditions or health care appointments
- Family emergencies
- Participation in school-approved activities
- Disciplinary action or short-term suspensions
- Observance of religious holidays or cultural activities
- Deployment activities of an active-duty military parent or guardian
- Other absences as permitted by state law
Documentation may be required to excuse a tardy or an absence of any length. Absences of more than five days in a month require a note from a doctor or medical provider in order to be considered excused.
Prearranged absences and tardies should be coordinated through the attendance office before the student will miss or be late for school. Students who have prearranged absences or tardies should request work from their teachers in advance of the absence and arrange to make up the work they cannot take with them.
- Two unexcused absences: The school will schedule a conference with the student and an attendance letter will be sent home.
- Five unexcused absences: School officials will enter into an attendance agreement and plan with the student and parent.
- Seven unexcused absences in a month or 10 in a year: The student will be referred to the student welfare and attendance office to file an initial petition with the court.
A student is tardy when he or she enters the classroom after the tardy bell and within the first 15 minutes of class time. It is considered an unexcused absence if the student is more than 15 minutes late to class. Tardies are handled in the following steps:
* 1st Tardy – Verbal warning
* 2nd Tardy – Parent is notified via e-mail
* 3rd Tardy – Lunch detention assigned to student
* 4th Tardy – Referral to the office for his/her total and discipline will be assigned. Parent is contacted.
* 5th Tardy – Referral to the office for After School Detention. Parent is contacted.
Alki Middle School is a closed campus. Students are expected to remain on campus from the time of arrival until excused.
Parents who need to check out a student early for illness or appointments must show ID and sign their student out at the attendance office. Failure to do so will result in truancy, regardless of later returning to school with a note from a parent.
Students can wait in the cafeteria after 8:30 a.m. on school days. The building is open to students at 8:55 a.m. School starts at 9 a.m. First period begins promptly at this time. School ends at 3:30 p.m.
Students should be good neighbors and treat our neighboring businesses and homes with respect.
When students are absent they are missing instructional time, which affects academic learning. For that reason we encourage students to be at school every day except when illness is an issue. When it is absolutely necessary for students to be absent, it is their responsibility to contact their teachers and get any work that was missed while they were gone. Most teachers have some sort of on-line calendar and many attach assignments using CANVAS. Students should be checking on-line for assignments. They can also email teachers with questions. For paper copies of homework teachers may keep extra copies, but they will need to be given 24 hours notice to produce homework copies if they aren’t readily available.
Did you know?
Attendance impacts academic success. Learn why good attendance in middle school is so important.
Questions and Answers
There are many ways to contact Alki’s Attendance Office to excuse an absence:
- Written note to the attendance office
- Telephone call to the attendance office (306) 313-3220 or 24 hours a day (306) 313-1448
- Send an e-mail to the attendance office. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Request an absence through Skyward Family Access
Skyward Family Access is a great way to make sure your students have cleared their absences.