Modest dress is an expectation at school, just as it is in a place of business. Inappropriate clothing or appearances that cause the disruption of the educational process or present health or safety problems will not be permitted. Apparel or accessories with the following types of pictures or wording are not allowed:
- Sexual suggestiveness
- Vulgar or insulting
- Ridicule or harassment of particular people or groups
Certain classes, activities or athletics may require prescribed dress and grooming. Shoes, however, are to be worn at all times.
When in doubt whether a clothing item is OK for school, students should check in the office. Students inappropriately dressed will be asked to change or call home for a change of clothes. If a student continues to wear inappropriate clothing, further disciplinary action is warranted.
Below are guidelines that should help if you are unsure whether your clothing is appropriate for school.
- Bandanas and bandana-print clothing: Bandanas are not allowed to be worn in any fashion at Alki or at other VPS schools. Bandana backpacks, clothing and clothing accessories also are not allowed.
- Shirts and tops: No skin showing on the back, belly or midriff areas. Sleeveless shirts and tank tops should cover most of the shoulder area. No undergarments should be visible. No spaghetti straps.
- Pants, shorts and skirts: A general guideline for shorts and/or skirts is that the hemline should be no shorter than the fingertips when arms are extended downward. Ideally, pants should be worn at the waistline. No sagging. No undergarments should be visible.
- Shoes: Only hard-soled foot apparel that is not distracting may be worn. No slippers or house shoes.
- Accessories: Chains and long belts are prohibited. Hats are not allowed at Alki in the building except on Fridays and special Hat Days. Sunglasses are not allowed in school.